Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Happiest of Birthdays

Well, I just celebrated a big birthday. The BIG 1-7. No, it isn't one of those milestone birthdays but it is definitely one that woke me up. I do feel older, and it is quite strange to actually think that I will be applied to a college this time next year. Regardless of my "getting older" woes and responsibilities though, I had a wonderful small party with my mother and father where food was the star...aside from my brand new Cinnamon Red Kitchen Aid Stand mixer that I got for a present.

Seeing it was my party, my mother wouldn't allow me to do any of the preparations, which I must admit, was quite unnerving, but nonetheless, it all turned out well.

For our entree, I had decided upon Shrimp and Grits. This is one of my all time favorite meals, and I never get to eat it, so I figured my birthday was the best day to do it.


We used a recipe from The Martha Stewart Show, titled "General Oglethorp's Shrimp and Grits". Don't get me wrong Martha is someone I truly emulate, but her recipes sometimes leave a little something to be desired. To be honest. It really wasn't very good. The grits were outstanding, and the shrimp were fresh, but the roux drizzled on top was bitter, and the seasoning on the shrimp was just okay. In defense of Martha, it wasn't her recipe.

Maybe cake will be better...


Funfetti Cake. Can we get any better? Yes, I am highly against boxed cake mixes, but for birthdays, when you are seeking nostalgia, I fear that box cake is permitted. Well...

It was worth it. I managed to find the Rainbow Chip Icing reminiscent of my childhood, because the new Funfetti icing simply would not have done, and my mother dyed the cake and icing to a playful pink and blue hue. The cake was delicious to SAY THE LEAST, and was the instigator of a very unpleasant binge...

All in all, my birthday was wonderful, and surely one to remember. Capping of the night, "Sex and the City" re-runs, and aching bellies, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

2 comments:

  1. I have a wonderful shrimp and grits recipe to share with you- from a true southern lady. You can't go wrong with that! I'll send it to your email. It's to die for, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is probably my all time favorite dish, and my mother and I went back and forth on which recipe to choose. We thought that we couldn't possibly go wrong with this one, but it really wasn't very good at all.

    ReplyDelete