Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Dinner Party and Dessert

Last week, my parents and I had over two very good friends. So, when given any chance to make a fabulous dessert, I always jump. So after a few days of intense pondering, and some severe indecisiveness, I found the winner. The chosen dessert was a Cranberry-Lime Tart from a December 2003 issue of Bon Appetit. I recently purchased the "Bon Appetit Desserts" book, and I am slowly but surely trying to conquer a good portion of it. I decided to choose this tart because I often find that anything to do with curd, in any form is always good, and the addition of the tart cranberry compote wasn't a bad thing either.

So, my process began two days before the dinner party. I needed to make the lime curd first, so it could sit overnight. All I can say, is that the recipe called for the use of an 11-inch tart, and I was only using an 8-inch, so there was plenty left over...THANK GOD! After a few very naughty tastes of the curd, I controlled myself and popped it in the fridge for the night.

The next day, I made the crust. The crust was a combination of the usual ingredients-butter, sugar, flour-but the addition of toasted almonds made it into something very special. Like the curd, there were some leftovers, which made me seriously contemplate the outcome of a possible cookie made the same way. I chilled the crust as instructed before baking, and then popped it in the oven until golden brown.

Once the crust came out, I allowed it to cool. Whilst the crust cooled, I decided to put together the cranberry topping and the white chocolate cream. Both components needed to cool, so this was as good a time as ever. The cranberry topping had suggested an optional addition of Chinese Five Spice Powder, which I completely intended to do, but I didn't have any luck finding it in the local markets. I have since gotten some, and I will be certain to use it next time. It all worked out in the end though, because I wouldn't have changed a thing about the cranberries. To replace the omitted Five Spice Powder, I added some cinnamon, nutmeg, and lime zest which worked just perfectly. Moving onto the white chocolate, I had worries that this element would not be able to stand up to the severity of flavor in the lime curd and cranberries, but I would just have to wait and find out.

About and hour later, all of the components of the tart are cooled and it is ready to be assembled. First to go in, is the white chocolate cream. I used it all, and then chilled it until firm in the fridge. Next, I layered the lime curd over top of the white chocolate cream, followed by the cranberries. With that last touch to the pie, it was ready to be enclosed in foil and put in the fridge to chill overnight, before its big unveiling the next evening.

The time finally arrived. I couldn't contain myself, as I slid the pie cutter into the crisp crust.

As for taste, I was quite impressed. The crust was better than I thought, and the white chocolate did in fact stand up to everything and did not get lost. The lime curd but of course, sublime, and the cranberries were equally as delicious too. By the first bite, everyone at the table was extremely pleased with the dessert, and loved the taste, just as I did.

It didn't hurt either, that the tart was so very pretty.


I served it on Spring green plates with a few white chocolate shaving over top. 



Très délicieux! Plus tôt...

2 comments:

  1. Sydney, it looks absolutely divine. My mom asked me just yesterday if I had ever made a tart. The answer, sadly, is no. I have made plenty of pies, but this makes me want to try a tart! I love the combination of cranberry and lime, and I would bet it would be superb with blueberry and lime, as well. Maybe that will be my undertaking?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have gotten into the habit of tart making lately. I love it. I also have little 4.5 inch tart pans that make the process really fun too. Blueberry and lime sounds great! I had also thought of lemon and raspberry as well, but blueberries are my favorite. Keep me posted!!!

    ReplyDelete