Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Au Revoir Summer! - Blackberry and Apple Pie

Summer has never really been one of my favorite times of the year. Strawberries, tomatoes, and asparagus can only tease one's palate for so long in my opinion. Yes, root vegetables, braises, and cream laden sauces are way more up my alley than the latter. So, when we had company last week, I confirmed that this would be my last Summer themed dessert. After that, it was apples, pears, cinnamon, and full-throttle comfort food all the way. This last homage to Summer had to be a good one though, and that it was. I chose Jamie Oliver's "Blackberry and Apple Pie". Jamie, who is almost never bad, made this dessert on his show, and I couldn't take my mind off of it. The pie is simply filled with apples, blackberries, sugar, and stem ginger, which is simmered until the apples are soft. Jamie also promises a foolproof Shortcrust pastry, which it was. I have never made a crust so flawless and flaky, and I will never use another recipe. What made the pie so original and irresistible was the custard sauce that accompanied it. I served the pie with the lovely crimson juices, spilling all over a luxurious English vanilla custard sauce. The custard was a Jamie recipe as well. All of that being said, the pie was a huge hit at the dinner party and it will be made again. Here's the evidence...


Here the pie is, with its lovely blanket of pastry atop it. I had never done this sort of pie before so the task was daunting. Jamie promised that if you listened to his instructions though, all would be well. Truer words have never been spoken!


The pie also has a dusting of sugar and cinnamon, which gave it those golden brown speckles, and lovely added flavor.


Here the pie is, ready to be served, surrounded by a pool of custard sauce. What is not to like?


Well, this little "good bye" to Summer, was well worth it, and let me rest easy, that I gave it a proper good bye. That being said though, I am ready for fall, and the next time you see me, it will probably be sweet potato-this, and cinnamon-that! Here is the pie recipe, but the custard and pastry recipe can be found elsewhere on the Internet...

Courtesy of Jamie Oliver:


Blackberry and Apple Pie
 
Ingredients

• 1 x sweet shortcrust pastry
recipe
• ¼ cup butter, plus
extra for greasing
• 1⁄3 cup raw sugar, plus
extra for sprinkling
• 2 large Bramley or
McIntosh apples,
cored, peeled and each
cut into 16 wedges
• 4 Cox, Empire or
Granny Smith apples,
cored, peeled and each
cut into 8 wedges
• 1 heaped tablespoon
chopped ginger,
in syrup
• 5 ounces blackberries
• 1 large free-range or
organic egg, beaten
• ½ teaspoon ground
cinnamon
 
 
Method

First, make your pastry dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and
rest it in the fridge for at least half an hour. Then preheat
the oven to 350°F. Put the butter and sugar into a saucepan
and, when the butter has melted, add the apples, ginger and
a tablespoon of the ginger syrup. Slowly cook for 15 minutes
with a lid on, then add the blackberries, stir and cook for 5
more minutes with the lid off.

Meanwhile, remove your pastry from the fridge. Dust your
work surface with flour, cut the pastry in half and, using a
floured rolling pin, roll one of the pieces out until it’s just under
½-inch thick. (Rolling the dough between two layers of waxed
paper will also stop it sticking to your rolling pin.) Butter a
shallow 10-inch pie dish and line with the pastry, trimming off
any excess round the edges using a sharp knife.

Tip the cooled apples and blackberries into a sieve, reserving all
the juices, then put the fruit into the lined pie dish so you have a
mound in the middle. Spoon over half the reserved juices. Brush
the edge of the pastry with beaten egg. Roll out the second piece
of pastry, just as you did the first, and lay it over the top of
the pie. Trim the edges as before and crimp them together with
your fingers. Brush the top of the pie with the rest of the beaten
egg, sprinkle generously with sugar and the cinnamon, and
make a couple of slashes in the top of the pastry.

Place the pie on a baking tray and then put it directly on the
bottom of the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, until golden
brown and crisp. To serve, slice the pie into portions and serve
with a generous dollop of ice-cream.

4 comments:

  1. I just came back to read this again, and have decided to make it
    next week. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good Rachel! Let me know how it turns out. I made the custard with mine, and I have to say, it was way better than ice cream. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good...didn't seem to be as juicy as yours. It wasn't dry, but it wasn't super moist either. I don't know what happened with the custard. I tempered it, but I think it still curdled a bit. The flavor is great, but the texture is a bit gritty. I'm going to warm some up for breakfast and see if that helps. It was all pretty cooled off by the time we ate. Crust was FABULOUS though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that strange. When I made mine, I had SO MUCH liquid that I added a teaspoon of cornstarch to the filling. I am sorry yours came out dry. That is a bummer. As for the custard, mine has curdled once before. I learned my lesson from there on. I made scrambled eggs and had to start over. Now, I tap into my patience and go low and slow. The crust is amazing though!!! I actually use that crust for every pie I make now, and just ignore the desired crust for whatever recipe I am making. It is almost good on its own. I made cookies with the leftovers I had, and dipped them in chocolate.

      Delete