Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Game Day Feast

Although some may disagree, Super Bowl Sunday is in many ways, just an excuse to eat. The actual game is an emotional vehicle for a party. I for one, am not interested in the sports aspect at all, and utilized the day to make a feast of Super Bowl classics with a healthy twist. There was oven-fried chicken with a light honey-mustard sauce, "classic" coleslaw, and better-for-you potato skin. Of course, I couldn't help myself, there were Ina Garten's "Outrageous Brownies" to top the night off, and satisfy one's sweet tooth, but who's to condemn that? I am one not to skimp on holidays, but I thoroughly enjoyed applying my weekday habits to these calorie-laden belly bombs. At the end of the day, team loyalties aside, everyone enjoyed these all-American Super Bowl treats, and at least I pretended to know what a field goal was... 

Keep reading for recipes and comments! Below, are my two favorites...



This chicken brought me back to my childhood love of "Chicken Fingers and Fries." These are just as good as the greasy kids-menu ones, but much better for you. I also used chicken breasts instead of thighs.


Honey-Crisp Oven-Fried Chicken
Courtesy of Ellie Krieger (Source: Fine Cooking)



4 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 ½ pounds)
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
4 cups corn flake cereal
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Olive oil cooking spray
2 tablespoons honey

Place the chicken in a bowl with the buttermilk and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour and up to four hours.

Place the corn flakes in a food processor and process until crumbs are formed (You should have about 1 cup of crumbs). Transfer to a shallow dish and mix in the paprika, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray.

Remove chicken from buttermilk, shaking off excess buttermilk from the chicken. Discard the remaining buttermilk. Brush each piece of chicken with honey, then dip in the corn flake crumbs, pressing hard so crumbs adhere to chicken. Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray and place coated chicken on sheet. Spray each piece lightly on top with olive oil spray. Bake until chicken is crisp and meat cooked through, 45-50 minutes.


Not being a huge fan of the potato skin, I enjoyed these immensely, seeing that they used a few of my favorite ingredients such as avocados, and greek yogurt. 


Daphne Oz's Super Bowl® Potato Skins
Courtesy of: Daphne Oz (Source: The Chew)


  • 6 Idaho Potatoes (I used baby reds.)
  • 1 cup Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese 
  • 1 cup Avocado (cubed and tossed in lime juice)
  • 1 cup Pico de Gallo
  • 1 cup Greek Yogurt
  • 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
  • Sea Salt
  • Freshly Ground Pepper
  • 1 jalapeno (sliced)










Preheat oven to 350F. Roast potatoes for 1 hour and let cool to touch. Half and scoop out 3/4 of the centers.


Preheat broiler. Drizzle the halves with olive oil. Top with cheese and put under the broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes to melt cheese and crisp skins.

Fill halves with pico de gallo, avocado, jalapenos and more cheese. Pop under the broiler again to melt the cheese. Garnish with greek yogurt, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
           
Both of these recipes went into my recipe book tonight. Even my father, who detests anything with the word "organic" or "diet" attached to it, loved these dishes and raved over them. All of this being said, I hope everyone enjoyed their evening of football and family. I sure enjoyed mine, even though it was spent in the kitchen rather than on the couch. Can I get a "Go team"!?!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I was just wondering what to do with some chicken breast tenders that I have. That recipe looks wonderful! How were the brownies? I usually love Ina's recipes, but I've never tried her brownies. Looks great, Syd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brownies were great! Ina is one of my favorites, and I have rarely had any recipe or her's turn out poorly. I actually didn't find out until I made them, that these brownies are the "Barefoot Contessa" box mix that you can buy at specialty food stores, and such. They were best sellers back in the day! Here is the recipe:

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/outrageous-brownies-recipe3/index.html

    Hope you try them!

    ReplyDelete